Ever since I got the opportunity to work as a Product Owner, I was thinking about a certification which could give my career a boost and at the same time I can learn the nuances of product ownership.
It was late November when I seriously started thinking about appearing in a certification exam. I had to choose between Scrum.Org’s Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO) and Scrum Alliance’s Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO). Decision was easy and I picked PSPO because of the following factors –
- Cost effective only USD 200.
- Once you pass the coveted exam, you will always remain a certified Product Owner. You need not to think about PDUs in future.
- Exam challenges you and tests your subject knowledge, 80 questions in an hour with a passing score of 85% or more (not easy).
- One doesn’t have to go to a Prometric partner for a mandatory 2 days preparatory course.
Once decided, it took me almost two months to prepare for the exam. However, I must admit I wasn’t sure till the last moment that I am up for it. Still, I enrolled myself with Scrum.Org and appeared in the PSPO-1 exam in February 2020. To my joy, I passed with 92.5% in the first attempt itself. There are no shortcuts and one must work hard in order to get certified. That’s why we only have only 50,000 product owners globally. I would suggest you to read the Scrum guide and attempt as many as mock tests as possible.
Useful material that will help in cracking PSPO-1 certification:
- Read Scrum guide thoroughly. May be 3-4 times till you are comfortable with the contents. Link – https://www.scrum.org/resources/scrum-guide?gclid=CjwKCAjwvZv0BRA8EiwAD9T2VUCcZqBU8vepaEauT0RBJD2F3666_canRwmIdNCV49i8cOAEpBs7fxoCpYUQAvD_BwE
- Mikhail Lapshin has prepared a wonderful quiz for PSPO-1 aspirants, similar to his PSM-1 quizzes. A combination of the PSPO and the PSM quizzes would ensure good coverage of the scrum guide. Link – http://mlapshin.com/index.php/scrum-quizzes/
- Mock tests by mplaza. It’s not free, I would suggest to go for their PSPO exam package. Questions are very near to what being asked in the actual exam. Link – https://mplaza.training/exam-simulators/pspo/
- Visit Volkerdon. Its mock test is also good. Link – https://www.volkerdon.com/pages/pspo-1-exam-tips
- Do the Scrum Product Owner Open assessment until you can do it fast and score close to 100% 3 times in a row. Link – https://www.scrum.org/open-assessments
- Read: The Professional Product Owner: Leveraging Scrum as a Competitive Advantage written by Don McGreal and Ralph Jocham
- Go through Scrum Forums, tips and Glossary on Scrum.Org
- Contact me: email@example.com